The perfect, gluten-free organic lemon pudding to transport you to the land of Inspector Montalbano in Sicily. A pudding that is easy to make and share with family or friends. A pudding filled with sunshine.
- butter 50g
- caster sugar 200g ( I reduce this down to 100 g)
- large lemons 2, zested
- lemon juice 100ml (include the juice from the zested lemon)
- organic eggs 3, separated
- cassava flour 50g, sifted
- organic milk 250ml (use unhomogenised cows milk or unsweetened almond milk.)
- good quality vanilla paste or extract 1 tsp
- edible flowers for embellishment, let your imagination run riot!
- double, clotted, pouring cream or thick Greek yogurt to serve
Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Blend the butter, sugar and lemon zest in a food processor until they are combined and pale and creamy. Add the lemon juice, yolks, cassava flour, milk and vanilla one by one until you have a silken, smooth batter. Whisk the egg whites until firm but not stiff, and lightly fold the two mixtures together.
Pour the batter into a buttered ovenproof soufflé or baking dish and put it in a baking tray half-filled with hot water. Or a slow oven works really well too. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is lightly browned and set and there is a gooey lemon curd below. Serve hot or warm with organic cream or thick Greek yoghurt.
Buy your organic farm to fork ingredients from Eversfield Organic Box Scheme in the UK - Eversfield Organic
Or discover our guide to the best organic box schemes here - Organic Box Schemes for farm to fork produce. Top Organic Food Box Schemes.