Keith Squire’s delightful, chocolate superfood cake, low in sugar and made satisfyingly filling by the addition of ground almonds, raw cacao and chia seeds.
Makes 6-8 slices
100 g butter
100 g grated jaggery or coconut sugar
½ tsp almond essence
25 g raw cacao powder
50 g wholemeal self raising flour
25 g ground almonds
2 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 175 O C.
- Grease a 20 cm cake tin and line it with baking paper.
- Blend together the butter and jaggery/coconut sugar with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Whisk the eggs and, using the mixer, slowly incorporate into the butter mixture so they blend together and don’t separate.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend well with the mixer. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until the delicious smell fills the kitchen. It should be just firm.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a wire tray.
Keith Squire’s book ‘Cooking with Love‘ is available to buy now!